This Policy affects all students admitted to the University who were born after December 31, 1956 and who are enrolled at the University of Utah.
Why a Second Measles and Mumps Vaccine ?
Prior to July 1, 1992, the Utah State Department of Health required only one dose of MMR vaccine for all students entering Utah schools, leaving those students who were already in the school system inadequately immunized. Unfortunately, not everyone is immune to measles after one dose of vaccine. Therefore to ensure immunity, the University requires all students to have 2 MMR vaccinations.
How Do I Prove That I Have Immunity to Measles, Mumps and Rubella?
The Immunity requirements may be met by showing:
- You must show dates you received 2 MMR vaccinations -- after your first birthday or
- Results of a blood test (called a titer) proving measles, mumps, and rubella immunity.
- Written documentation of having had measles or mumps diseases and a titer for rubella.
What Do I Need To Do To Comply With This Requirement?
- Retrieve past immunization records. Official forms that will verify immunization include:
- Statement or photocopy of records from doctor/health care provider;
- State or international immunization records of vaccinations;
- Primary or secondary school records of vaccinations;
- Immunization records from another college or university attended;
- Military records;
- Documentation of measles, mumps, or rubella blood test(s)/titer(s) showing immunity.
- If verification from any of the above sources is unavailable, or you still need another
MMR vaccination, then you will need to do ONE of the following:
- Receive the vaccine from your health care provider or local health department prior to arrival on campus;
- Obtain the necessary blood test(s) from your health care provider to prove immunity;
- Receive the MMR vaccination at the Student Health Service Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00pm daily.
- Cost: $75.00* per injection.
- Upload your immunization dates, including the month, day, and year of the immunizations, and your documentation, into our patient portal-see link on home page.
- Fees for blood test (titers) that will verify immunity are Mumps $12*, Measles $12* and Rubella $14* or all 3 for $38*.
*Prices subject to change without notice.
What If I Don't Comply?
NONCOMPLIANCE = REGISTRATION HOLD
Students who arrive on campus inadequately immunized will be given until the second Friday of their first semester to comply with this requirement. If you have not complied by this time, a hold will be placed on your registration until the requirement has been met.
What If I Have a Reason Not To Be Immunized?
EXEMPTIONS TO THE IMMUNIZATION REQUIREMENT INCLUDE:
- You are sick right now with something more serious than a cold.
- You had an allergic reaction to eating eggs so serious that it required medical treatment (does not apply to the rubella vaccine).
- You have cancer, leukemia, or lymphoma.
- You have a disease that lowers the body's resistance to infection.
- You take a drug that lowers the body's resistance to infection (such as cortisone, prednisone, or certain anti-cancer drugs).
- You have received gamma globulin (immune globulin) within the preceding three months.
- You had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic called neomycin so serious that it required medical treatment.
- You are pregnant or plan to become pregnant within the next three months.
- You can demonstrate you hold sincere religious beliefs against immunizations.
Only students with these medical contraindications or religious doctrine against immunization will be considered for exemption. All medical exemptions must be signed by both a M.D. or D.O. and the student. All religious exemptions require completion of a Religious Exemption form available at the Student Health Service.
What If I Have More Questions Or Need Help?
Contact the Immunization Program Office 801-585-6009, Fax 801-585-5294 or write to:
Kerry Hill, Immunization Program Manager
Immunization Program Office
University of Utah
Student Health Service
Madsen Health Center, Level 1
555 Foothill Boulevard
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-1105